Right now, workers are once again bustling around the Los Angeles Shrine Auditorium gussying it up for Saturday’s 22nd Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards. The show is being simulcast live on TNT and TBS, Saturday, January 30 at 5 p.m. (PT) and 8 p.m. (ET), and if you happen to be milling around Times Square in New York, you can catch the SAG Red Carpet pre-show on the giant Spectacolor HD electronic billboard, too.
It’s amazing all the details that go into the show where actors hop onstage to give heartfelt speeches (it really is a therapy session at this one) and try to hold the nearly anatomically correct award in the least embarrassing place. Here are some stats that caught our eye.
- Someone get out the measuring tape—there is 17,100 square feet of red carpet leading up to the door.
- Each trophy (The Actor®) is made of solid bronze and weighs 12 pounds.
- All SAG-AFTRA members (in good standing) are eligible to vote in all categories. 116,741 peers in the actors’ union will choose the honorees this year. Voting ends Friday, January 29 at noon.
- Grilled chicken with Meyer lemon salsa and lemon scented fingerling potatoes and puffed rice-crusted salmon with carrot-ginger puree are on Wolfgang Puck’s menu. It will require the use of 1,800 Meyer lemons.
- Looks like people will only be going home with trophies—650 pieces of garlic will also be used to cook the dinner.
- CJ Matsumoto & Sons are creating floral arrangements that require over 5,000 white spray roses. There will be thousands (too many to count) Dendrobrium and Cymbidium orchids as well.
- FIJI Water is on the red carpet. Champagne Taittinger is everywhere else. And most exciting? Dunkin’ Donuts is providing the coffee at the after-party (it is good stuff).
- Everyone will be leaving with goody bags that include a Time Life DVD set featuring Life Achievement Award Winner Carol Burnett.