Craving some of that junk food you swore to cut back on in the New Year? Fret not—we’ve found a clever compromise. Local gal Lane Gold is out with a new cookbook, Vegan Junk Food, which includes recipes for everything from loaded nachos to a meatball sub. The dishes are pretty simple to make for the most part, assuming you have easy access to vegan staples like soy cheese. Here, Gold gives a healthful makeover to a dorm-room classic, the baguette pizza, using vegan mozzarella and a heap of vegetables. The result is as crisp and almost gooey as the original.
Veggie Cheese Baguette Pizza
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 medium onion, sliced thinly
2 bell peppers, red or green, sliced thinly
1 clove garlic, minced
1 French bread baguette, cut in half lengthwise
1 cup Pizza Sauce
2 cups vegan mozzarella shreds
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil.
2. In a skillet, sauté mushrooms, onion, and peppers in olive oil until tender-crisp; add garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes.
3. Place baguette halves on cookie sheet. Spread Super-Easy Pizza Sauce over each, followed by half of the cheese.
4. Divide mushroom mixture between baguette halves. Top with remaining cheese.
5. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is crispy.