Even if you aren’t planning to watch this Sunday’s 71st annual Golden Globes ceremony, you might want to re-create the dessert that the stars will be eating while they wait to see who wins Best Motion Picture. Pastry chef Thomas Henzi has been with the Beverly Hilton for more than four years. This year he’s created a multilayered, appropriately golden mango mousse that’s as eye-catching and innocently sweet as Jennifer Lawrence’s smile. Filled with coconut cream and dressed up with a chocolate sash, it’s a winning finish for any fancy fête
Mango Yogurt Mousse, adapted for the home cook by pastry chef Thomas Henzi of the Beverly Hilton
300 g / 10.5 oz mango puree or juice
1 package gelatin
400 g / 14.3 oz yogurt, at room temperature
180 g / 6.4 oz white chocolate, melted and cooled
300 g / 10.5 oz heavy cream, whipped
- Pour mango puree into small saucepan. Sprinkle gelatin on top. Allow gelatin to “bloom” or fully absorb into mango puree—about 5 minutes.
- Warm mango puree over medium-low heat until gelatin disolves. Do not simmer or boil. Take off heat and cool slightly. Strain into a medium bowl.
- Stir in yogurt, followed by white chocolate. Finally, fold whipped cream into the mixture until fully incorporated.
- Mousse can be spooned or piped into ramekins, cups, bowls or any container to create individual portions. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.
Optional Coconut Cream Filling:
4 egg yolks
3 whole eggs
120 g / 4.2 oz powdered sugar
400 g / 14.0 oz coconut milk, not low fat
1 package gelatin, sprinkled over 1/4 cup water
150 g / 5.2 oz butter
- In a small saucepan, whisk egg yolk, eggs and powdered sugar.
- Add coconut milk and bring slowly up to a simmer while stirring constantly. Only allow mixture to thicken slightly. Do not boil.
- Add the dissolved gelatin and soft butter.
- Place into a blender and liquify until homogenized.
- Allow to cool slightly.
To fill centers of mango mousse: Scoop small spoonfuls out of centers of fully chilled and firm mango mousse. Spoon in the slightly cooled mango cream. Return dishes to refrigerator and allow to set completely. Unmold mousse onto plates. Optionally, decorate with chocolate.