We’re caving in. Thanks to the recently released Paleo Foodie Cookbook, the diet du jour, a Fred Flintstone-inspired regime heavy on protein and vegetables (and light on processed foods, grains, and gluten), has caught our attention. Authors Arsy Vartanian and Amy Kubal tested and tasted 120 recipes that would please any food-lover—not just the ones that have gone paleo. This gluten-free diet isn’t all steaks and salad. Think: coconut curry Thai mussels and cumin-roasted carrots. Vartanian and Kubal’s sweet potato salmon cakes, with a golden outer crust and pillowy interior, sound like an easy weeknight dinner. And, just think about lunch the next day. Your usual deli sandwich? It pale-os in comparison.
Sweet Potato Salmon Cakes from The Paleo Foodie Cookbook
Serves 4 (3 per person)
- ¼ cup/10 g parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup/10 g scallions, chopped
- ¼ cup/45 g red bell pepper, chopped
- 12 oz/340 g of canned, boneless pink salmon or cooked fresh salmon
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled, boiled and mashed
- 2 eggs, separated ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp/30 ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp/15 g coconut flour
- 2 tbsp/15 g arrowroot starch
- ¼ cup/60 ml coconut oil for frying
- In the bowl of a food processor combine parsley, scallions and red bell pepper. Pulse a few times until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine the parsley, scallion and red bell pepper mixture, salmon, sweet potato, egg yolks, cayenne, sea salt, black pepper, coconut milk, coconut flour and arrowroot starch.
- Mix using your hands, until all the ingredients are well combined. Make the mixture into patties, about the size of your palm and 1-inch/2.5-cm thick. This mixture should make about 12 patties.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet, such as cast iron, over medium heat. Add coconut oil.
- Using a pastry brush, coat both sides of each patty with egg whites.
- Once coconut oil is melted, add the salmon cakes to the pan and cook for 3 to 5 minutes per side. Cook in batches so as not to overcrowd the pan. Add more coconut oil as needed. Cook until well browned, crispy and heated through.