What gives, L.A.? The weather has been unseasonably tolerable lately. We suspect that the cooler climate has put a damper on the frenzy as National Ice Cream Month draws to a close. Why not extend the frozen treat excitement a few days to August 3, which also happens to be National Watermelon Day? (Who can keep up?) Café del Rey has the right idea. The Marina restaurant has been scooping house-made seasonal ice cream flavors throughout the whole month of July, including a fresh watermelon sorbet spiked with lime and lemon zest. It’s just the thing as we head into summer’s so-called dog days—even if, at the moment, they’re still playing like puppies.
By Executive Chef Daniel Roberts, Café del Rey
Yields 2-3 quarts
5 Pounds Seedless Watermelon (cubed)
2 Cups Fresh Lemon
1 Cup Fresh Lime
Zest of 2 Limes
Zest of 3 Lemons
1/2 Cup Water
5 Cups Sugar
1. Purée watermelon in blender until smooth and set aside.
2. Cook sugar, lime, lemon juice, and water until sugar dissolves.
3. Add zests once off the heat.
4. Stir in lemon/ lime syrup to watermelon purée with a whisk.
5. Let cool at room temperature.
6. Churn mixture ice cream machine and let it set overnight.