Troy N. Thompson, executive chef at the Beverly Hilton, is reinterpreting a classic American dish for Sunday’s Golden Globes. As part of a three-course meal that will be served at the awards ceremony, Thompson will present his Modern Waldorf Salad. Instead of mayonanaise, the salad will be dressed with a lemon emulsion.
Those of us watching at home can eat this salad, too, after following Thompson’s recipe.
Modern Waldorf Salad
- 1 Red Delicious and 1 Granny Smith apple, both julienned, 1/8-inch pieces
- 8 red seedless grapes sliced
- Baguette sliced very thin with extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, and baked til crisp
- 4 oz candied walnuts
- 2 oz hearts of celery with leafs
- Lemon emulsion
- 8 inside small romaine leafs
- Walnut oil (garnish)
- 2 oz fresh lemon juice (about 5 lemons)
- 8 oz grapeseed oil
- 1 oz agave syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp pasteurized egg whites
- In a chilled blender, add egg whites, lemon juice, agave; whip until frothy.
- Slowly pour in the grapeseed oil until it begins to thicken; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place apple julienne, sliced grapes, hearts of celery in a bowl and toss with emulsion to cover; let sit.
- Place one romaine leaf on the plate; spoon mixture on the leaf and on second romaine leaf; place on top.
- Top with crushed candied walnuts.
- Top with dollop of lemon emulsion.
- Sprinkle walnut oil as garnish.
- Place baked baguette crouton as garnish.