Whoever calls breakfast the most important meal of the day certainly hasn’t included brunch in the voting process. Brunch is like breakfast for grown-ups, where eggs mature into quiche and there’s no such thing as orange juice sans bubbly or vodka.
Brunch has no room for moderation. Brunch is family. Brunch is relaxed. Brunch doesn’t mind if you drink before noon; heck, brunch encourages it. And an upcoming brunch at Tiato celebrates two of our favorite beverages—coffee and beer—along with the guy who probably gave us our first sip of each: dad. (Sure, that was back when we were young and dumb and thought they tasted gross, but we’re older and wiser now… we get it.)
On the day before Father’s Day, Firestone Walker Brewing Co and FoodGPS are curating a special “CollaBREWtive Brunch” that pairs local craft breweries with local coffee roasters, who then create a special one-off beer that’s spiked with our favorite caffeinated bean. In addition, 12 of L.A.’s finest chefs will be on hand, cranking out dishes rich enough to stand up to the bold flavors of your new favorite drink. (And yes, you can go back for seconds.)
Brunch dishes include:
- Truffled brioche roll sandwiches with breakfast sausage, Havarti cheese, tomato and spinach (Kajsa Alger, Mud Hen Tavern)
- White cheddar biscuit sandwich with sage-chicken sausage and melted cheddar (Daniel Mattern & Roxana Jullapat, Cooks County)
- Root veggie hash & fried quail egg taco with almond chile (Wesley Avila, Guerrilla Tacos)
- Mancake Plate: silver dollar beer pancakes studded with bacon, maple-glazed smoked heritage pork sausage, sunny fried quail egg (Ernesto Uchimura, Plan Check)
- Scotch Egg: smoked golden fertile egg, Kurobuta pork sausage, frisée, radishes, and preserved lemon vinaigrette (Christian Page, Hunters)
- Baked ricotta with candied pistachio and macerated market fruit (Steve Samson, Sotto)
- Mortadella hot dog with pickled vegetable relish and spicy hot mustard (Michael Fiorelli, Love & Salt)
- Ube bread pudding French toast with coconut crème anglaise (Crème Caramel LA)
- Plus other as-yet-unannounced dishes from Zoe Nathan Loeb (Huckleberry, Milo & Olive), Philip Pretty (Fundamental LA), Jimmy Shaw (Loteria Grill), and Daly Thompson (Tiato)
Coffee beer collaborations include:
- Chip Shot Coffee Porter (Smog City Brewing), made with organic Groundwork coffee, orange peel, cinnamon sticks, and vanilla beans.
- Rice & Beans (The Bruery)—inspired by coffee-infused horchata, this beer is made with rice, cinnamon, vanilla, and Tierra Mia coffee
- Plus as-yet-unannounced beers from: El Segundo Brewing Co. and LAMILL Coffee, Eagle Rock Brewery and Portola Coffee Lab, Firestone Walker Brewing Co. and Intelligentsia Coffee, Golden Road Brewing and Handsome Coffee Roasters, Ladyface Ale Companie and Caffe Luxxe, Monkish Brewing Co. and Lord Windsor Roasters
Each brewery will also be pouring a beer of theirs that doesn’t contain coffee and the roasters will be on hand to pour their beer-free coffee.
The event is open to all ages and will have kid-friendly activities, so don’t feel self-conscious about your parenting skills for having a beer (or two) with breakfast. It’s Father’s Day!