In February, Los Angeles magazine hosted the eighth annual Best New Restaurants “Quarantine Edition” Celebration. The event brought the January issue to life with curated to-go Tasting Kits and virtual event, moderated by Food Editor Hailey Eber, to honor and support the chefs and restaurants revealed in the editorial feature. Each Kit included a signature dish from five of the mentioned restaurants plus a plant-based tasting from Simple Feast. Guests also enjoyed cocktails by House of Suntory and El Tesoro/Bruxo, Flying Embers Hard Kombucha and Flying Embers Hard Seltzer, and a bottle of Bocce Ball Wine. Everything was delivered to attendees’ homes courtesy of QWQER Foods.
In the evening, guests tuned into a virtual culinary program that featured cooking demonstrations from Found Oyster and Ospi and a mixology lesson from House of Suntory and El Tesoro/Bruxo. Plus, viewers watched a behind the scenes look of Mírame, a panel discussion featuring the chef/owners of Little Coyote, Angry Egret Dinette, and All Day Baby along with home styling tips from Mindy Weiss.
Westside Tasting Menu
• Mírame: Seafood Pozole Verde
• Ospi: Spicy Rigatoni Alla Vodka Pasta Kit
• Pearl River Deli: Hainan Chicken
• Tamales Elena y Antojitos: Corn Husk Pork Tamale
• Hank’s Bagels
Eastside Tasting Menu
• All Day Baby: ADB Smoked Chicken
• Found Oyster: Steamed Clam Kit
• Angry Egret Dinette: Tata Ben Pastrami Sandwich + Cubano Sandwich
• Sōgo Roll Bar: Crab and Salmon Hand Roll Kit
• Hank’s Bagels
Photo credit: Jim Donnelly and Kiernan Szakos