(provided by Culver City Home Brewing Supply)
An American Brown Ale like Pete’s Wicked®. Medium brown color with a hoppy finish.
|Malt Extract:||Pale (6 lbs.)|
|Specialty Malts:||British Chocolate Malt (4 oz)|
Crystal 80 (8 oz)
Special Roast (4 oz)
(Variety, amount, boil time)
|#1 Perle (0.7 oz; 60 min)|
#2 Chinook (0.4 oz; 60 min)
#3 Willamette (0.7 oz; 15 min)
#4 Cascade (0.9 oz; 0 min)
|Fermentation Temp:||65-75 degrees F|
|Yeast:||Wyeast 1056 American Ale|
or White Labs WLP001 California Ale
or White Labs WLP051 Cal. Ale V
or Wyeast 1272 American. Ale II
- In a small pot bring 3 or 4 quarts of water to around 150 degrees (bubbles start to form on the bottom.)
- Remove from the heat and stir in the specialty grains, cover and steep for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill the large brew pot half full with water and apply heat.
- When bubbles start to rise from the large pot, turn off the heat and stir in the extract.
- After the grains have steeped for 20-30 minutes, pour them through a strainer into the large brew pot.
- Add some hot water to the small pot and rinse the grains in the strainer.
- Bring what is now called ‘wort’ to a full, roiling boil. Watch for boilovers!
- Once the foaming stops, add the contents of the first two hop packages.
- Sanitize your fermenter, strainer, airlock & stopper.
- Maintain the boil for one hour, adding the Willamette hops when 15 minutes remain in the boil, and adding the Cascade hops at the end of the boil.
- When the boil is done, cool the pot in a sink until sides are cool to the touch.
- Pour the wort into your sanitized fermenter, add pre-chilled water to bring it up to 5 gallons at about 75 degrees and pitch the yeast.
- Ferment in the temperature range recommended above.