Well Seasoned: All About Musso & Frank’s Grill

The numbers on Musso & Frank’s antique implement.

The Musso & Frank Grill, which opened in 1919, has always served a long menu of grilled items alongside its popular martinis. After Joseph Carissimi and John Mosso bought the restaurant in 1927, construction began on an extension, called the Back Room. The new dining room and a refurbished kitchen—including a (then) state-of-the-art kitchen grill with cast iron grates—was completed in the mid-1930s. The massive cooking device was built to last; all of Musso & Frank’s steaks are still seared on its blackened grates. Here, six more stats on the most famous grill in Hollywood.

→ Built in 1934

→ Uses 250 pounds of mesquite wood per week

→ Between 300 and 700 items are cooked on it daily

→ It can fit 60 to 80 items at any one time

→ Temperature ranges from 300 to 600 degrees

→ Current grill-master Indolfo Rodriguez has manned the beast for 29 years

http://cdn2.lamag.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/9/2013/06/arrow29.png Musso & Frank’s Grill, 6667 Hollywood Blvd., Los Angeles, (323) 467-7788, mussoandfrank.com