In honor of the 13th season of Bravo’s beloved cooking competition show running up and down the California coast, we shall, every week, outline the 10 (get it?) things we learned from watching each episode. Last night’s episode of Top Chef taught us plenty. Here, our top 10 learnable moments:
10. Science is cool!
In case you forgot from all those middle school science experiment days. Isaac Toups made cornbread from the sun, you guys!
9. Wesley True, competing for the University of Mississippi, won the pole vault competition at the Hixson Classic in 1999
8. John Besh still has great hair
So flowing; so silken; so perfectly-parted.
7. “Snot on a Rock” will likely not appear on Scratch Bar’s tasting menu
PFL’s foraging habit is starting to weigh on the judges.
6. This is the bro-iest season in Top Chef history
It’s like a high school locker room with more crudos and emulsions and Jason Stratton is not happy about it.
5. Giselle and Angelina have beef
It’s the season’s first feud! Angelina called Giselle the b-word and now they’re refusing to work together and we really hope the producers play this up for the next 3 to infinity episodes.
4. We need a new villain
Now that Grayson has left the building, who do we root against? Share your answers below!
3. All food is the same now
Both first courses were ceviches; both second courses grilled shrimp; both desserts liquor-based custards. What happened to the days of Marcel spherificating everything or Ilan busting out weird Spanish baby eels? We need PFL to start upping his foraging game.
2. Golf reminds Tom Colicchio of cooking
Because there are no mulligans, and every stroke counts, just like every ingredient counts? But, wait, isn’t mulligan a golf term? Arguably, golf is the only place where there are, indeed, mulligans.
1. As seasons and episodes and contestants come and go like ships in the night, Padma loses the ability to hide her abject disgust for almost every dish
Padma = Simon Cowell.