This could be the year of ice cream in Los Angeles, which is turning into a destination for a lot of the country’s best frozen treats.
We’ve already got the new Larchmont outpost of Portland’s wildly creative Salt & Straw and a truck from Brooklyn’s beloved Van Leeuwen. Columbus, Ohio’s Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams is working to open a Los Feliz location soon, and New York City’s Big Gay Ice Cream is popping up at the Ace Hotel as it prepares for the opening of its Downtown soft-serve shop.
But L.A. is getting its own new homegrown contender, too, thanks to Nancy Silverton of the La Brea Bakery and Mozza empires. The Nancy’s Fancy line of gelati and sorbetti, all made with local ingredients and churned in Southern California, will hit stores this spring.
Flavors will include:
- Chunky Salted Peanut Butter with Chocolate Fudge Ripple
- Butterscotch Budino with Salted Caramel Swirl
- Roasted Banana with Bourbon and Pecan Praline
- Coconut Stracciatella with Bittersweet Chocolate Strands
- Chocolate Rum Fondente with Dark Rum and Chocolate Chips
- Frutti di Bosco–Greek Yogurt and Mixed Berries
- Spiced Stumptown Coffee with Cracked Cocoa Nibs
L.A.’s cold front is coming, and it sounds like it’s going to be delicious.