Meanwhile, in veggie land:
Wearing only carefully positioned lettuce leaves and holding signs that read, “Turn Over a New Leaf: Go Vegan,” PETA’s “sexy lettuce ladies” will be giving away free vegan sandwiches and their vegetarian/vegan starter kit outside of City Hall today at noon.
Los Angeles was named PETA’s 2012 City of the Year, no doubt in small part thanks to the City Council’s endorsement of the international Meatless Monday movement.
And speaking of Meatless Monday, Susan Feniger and Kajsa Alger of STREET restaurant are partnering with Jenny Engel and Heather Goldberg of Spork Foods (a vegan cooking school here in L.A.) to create a “home-style vegan comfort food” dinner next Monday, January 14.
The menu will feature recipes from the duo’s Spork-Fed cookbook, mashed up with vegan classics from STREET. Naturally, signed copies of Spork-Fed and Feniger’s Street Food cookbooks will be available for purchase all evening.
The meatless menu is $55 per person, with an optional $15 beverage add-on:
- Beer-battered avocado tacos with shredded cabbage, toasted pepitas, and lime crema (Spork) | Drink pairing: tequila-tamarindo cooler
- Baby beet, arugula, and frisée salad with Honeycrisp apples and pine nut-juniper vinaigrette (STREET)
- Tofu and hearts of palm crabcakes with rémoulade, fried plantains and macadamia-basil topping (Spork) | Drink pairing: Matua Valley Sauvignon Blanc
- Personal pot pie with fluffy biscuit top (Spork)
- Shaved kale and Brussels sprouts sautéed with garlic and lemon picada (STREET) | Drink pairing: Inception Pinot Noir
- Mini spiced sugar donuts drizzled with warm chocolate sauce (STREET)
For reservations, call STREET at 323-203-0500.
STREET, 742 N. Highland Ave., Hollywood, EatAtStreet.com