Trump Says U.S. Won’t Pay for the Security Meghan and Prince Harry Never Asked For

In case freeloading former royals were high on your list of concerns this week…
1220

Donald Trump took a break from boasting about his pandemic ratings to weigh in on the news that Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have set up house in a secluded Los Angeles compound.

As CNN reports, Trump took to Twitter Sunday to assure a weary nation that the United States would not be footing the bill for the semi-royal couple’s security.

“I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom,” he wrote. “It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada. Now they have left Canada for the U.S. however, the U.S. will not pay for their security protection.”

And in case anyone missed the message in all that subtle wordplay, Trump added, “They must pay!”

Of course, Meghan and the Prince never requested any U.S. money for their protection, and a spokesperson for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex says they aren’t planning to, either. The couple have arranged for privately funded security.

In January, Harry and Meghan announced via Instagram that they were taking a breather from the whole royal family thing with a view to becoming “financially independent,” and to “carve out a progressive new role within this institution.”

So far, at least Meghan is holding up her end of the bargain, having landed a voiceover gig for the Disney+ documentary Elephant.

Although Canada—where Meghan and Harry say they’ll reside part time—has helped the couple with security expenses in the past, that deal will end on March 31, when they officially abandon their roles as senior royals.


RELATED: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Live in L.A. Now


Stay up to date with everything you need to know about L.A. by following us on Facebook and Instagram.