On Sunday, January 28, roughly 40 SoCal museums from Palm Springs to DTLA are waiving admission for everyone for the 14th annual Museums Free-for-All. While it won’t cost visitors anything to get in the door at participating institutions (check the full list here), it’s still pricey to park at some of the museums, so taking Metro is recommended for Angelenos who want to make it a truly wallet-friendly day.
Bonus: museum goers with valid Metro Tap cards or Metro tickets are being offered special perks at 11 local museums.
For instance, LACMA is celebrating the approaching tenth anniversary of Chris Burden’s installation “Urban Light” by handing out special-edition temporary tattoos featuring the iconic lamp posts. Every visitor gets one, but visitors with valid Tap cards get a set of five.
Here’s a full list of freebies and discounts for Tap card and Metro ticket holders:
- Skirball Cultural Center (2701 N. Sepulveda Blvd., Brentwood) is handing out free bottles of water
- At Pasadena Museum of California Art (490 E. Union St., Pasadena), snag a Mark Ryden poster
- The Natural History Museum (900 W. Exposition Blvd., Expo Park) is offering fast-pass entry
- La Brea Tar Pits (5801 Wilshire Blvd., Mid-Wilshire) is also offering fast-pass entry
- At the Museum of Latin American Art (628 Alamitos Ave., Long Beach) get 10 percent off a membership
- At Zimmer Children’s Museum (6505 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Grove), get a free guest pass for a future visit
- Kidspace Children’s Museum (480 N. Arroyo Blvd., Pasadena) is offering 20 percent off at its Busy Bee Learning Store
- Get 10 percent off at the Getty‘s store (1200 Getty Center Drive, Brentwood)
- The Autry Museum (4700 Western Heritage Way, Griffith Park) is offering 5 percent off in its store (excluding sale items)
- LACMA (5905 Wilshire Blvd., Mid-Wilshire), as we mentioned, is handing out “Urban Light” temporary tattoos
- The Hammer Museum (10899 Wilshire Blvd., Westwood) is offering 10 percent off in its store
Stay on top of the latest in L.A. food and culture. Sign up for our newsletters today.