Two-time UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez was denied bail on an attempted, premeditated murder charge in Santa Clara County Superior Court Monday. Meanwhile, Velasquez’s alleged target—the accused molester of his young relative—remains free without having posted any bond at all.
Velasquez, 39, was charged last week after allegedly trying to shoot Harry Eugene Goularte, 43. Goularte was free on no bail despite charges of sexually assaulting the ex-champion’s family member in a daycare facility bathroom. Cain is accused of chasing Goularte’s Chevrolet Silverado in his Ford truck for 11 miles through San Jose before ramming the Chevy and opening fire with a .40 caliber handgun, hitting Goularte’s 63-year-old stepfather, Paul Bender, who was driving.
Bender was struck once in his arm and torso. His injuries are not considered life threatening.
At Monday’s bail hearing, Judge Shelyna Brown said Velasquez must remain behind bars due to his “extreme recklessness,” ESPN reports.
“It is clear to this court that there is clear and convincing evidence that there is a substantial likelihood that release would result in great bodily injury, not just to the named complaining witnesses in this case but to Santa Clara residents at large,” Brown said. “This case involves allegations of extreme recklessness to human life.”
Brown continued, “Ramming a vehicle in the middle of the day where are citizens are out driving, going about their business and shooting out of a car at other individuals, which is reckless by any standard. Anyone could have been killed. There will be no bail set at this time,”
Outside the courthouse, Velasquez’s lawyer, Mark Geragos—whose notable clients include Scott Peterson, Chris Brown and Winona Ryder—told KRON, “If you believe what the DA says the motivation is—is there anybody out there who would say to a father, that this is not what you should do? A father who was not consulted when they released a perpetrator back into the public with zero-dollar bail, yet they are holding Cain on no bail?”
Velasquez’s supporters had been trying to raise money for his defense on GoFundMe, but those accounts had been deactivated by Monday, with a company rep telling MMAJunkie, “GoFundMe prohibits raising money for the legal defense of a violent crime.”
MMA stars voiced there support for Velasquez as well. Ultimate Fighting Champion color commentator Joe Rogan said on his podcast last week, “You could only imagine the rage, the fucking rage that must have been going through that man’s mind. I mean, my only wish is that he did it with his hands. My only wish is that he just ran that car off the road, pulled that guy out of the fucking car, and beat him to death. Fuck you.”
Velasquez faces 20 years in prison if convicted on all charges.
Investigators from the Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office and the California Department of Social Services are trying to determine if Goularte has other alleged victims.
Stay on top of the latest in L.A. news, food, and culture. Sign up for our newsletters today.