Just when you thought you’d never hear about Kevin Spacey again unless you checked out one of his bizarro annual Christmas videos, a high-stakes round of arbitration between the embattled everything-nominated actor and his former bosses at House of Cards has added another alleged victim to the list of people who’ve accused him of sexual misconduct.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, a twenty-something production assistant on the hit Netflix series accused Spacey of sexually harassing him in 2012 when he was assigned to drive the star to the hospital after he injured himself while shooting a promo. This allegation came to light during private, ongoing arbitration between Spacey and Media Rights Capital, the production studio that owns House of Cards.
In 2019, MRC sued Spacey for tens of millions in damages it says it sustained when it suspended production of the show’s sixth season in 2017 and eliminated Spacey’s character after actor Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of sexually assaulting him at a party at Spacey’s home in 1986 when Rapp was 14. Spacey countersued, arguing that MRC had been aware of the 2012 allegations and had already signed off on a settlement with the production assistant, despite claiming that Rapp’s allegations had blindsided the company when it stopped paying Spacey in 2017.
The case went to arbitration just before the pandemic lockdown in February 2020, at which point Spacey claimed MRC owed him for violating amended payday stipulations made to his contract in the light of the production assistant’s accusations. An arbitrator from the private dispute resolution company JAMS is scheduled to hear oral arguments in the case on June 29 and to make a decision by the end of the summer.
As for Rapp’s claims, Spacey initially said he didn’t remember if there had been an incident, but apologized if there had been, and then made his situation exponentially worse by using the moment to come out as gay—“I choose now to live as a gay man,” he said, as if it would somehow be seen as an exculpatory revelation.
Now, according to recent court papers, the double Oscar winner says Rapp was never at a party at his place and denies all of Rapp’s claims. Spacey also denies claims by a plaintiff in the same New York civil suit. The accuser, identified only as “C.D.,” says that when he was a 14-year-old student in Spacey’s acting class in the early 1980s, the still unknown actor “attempted to anally sodomize the plaintiff, C.D., who…said ‘No’ multiple times.”
These are just a sampling of the accusations for which Spacey could still be made to answer.
In London, a source tells THR that Scotland Yard’s Child Abuse and Sexual Offences Command has presented its findings in at least six sexual assault claims made against Spacey to the Crown Prosecution Service, the British version of a district attorney. The agency is deciding whether to charge Spacey for the incidents, which allegedly took place between 1996 and 2013.
Another young House of Cards actor has accused Spacey of taking him into the Getty Center when it was closed and empty and groping him there after he refused an invitation to his room at Malibu’s Shutters on the Beach hotel.
At about the same time, sources tell THR was banned from getting massages at the Burke Williams spa chain and was also blacklisted by the makers of the Soothe app, due to previous harassment allegations by the staff. Burke Williams and Soothe declined to comment.
Closed cases against Spacey include one in 2019 in which Nantucket prosecutors had to drop felony sex assault charges after the alleged victim couldn’t answer questions about deleting evidence from his cell phone and subsequently pleaded the Fifth.
There are also three accusers who died that year. One was an anonymous massage therapist who claimed Spacey forced him to grab his genitals during a session at his Malibu estate (L.A. prosecutors dropped that case); Author Ari Behn, who said Spacey grabbed him “right in the balls” at a Nobel Prize concert and killed himself on Christmas Day; and Linda Culkin, a nurse who was fatally struck by a car outside of Boston after accusing Spacey of sexually assaulting an underage boy who had been a patient of hers.
Regardless of what happens to Spacey—rumored to be living everywhere from London to L.A. to Florida—during his potentially jam-packed court calendar, industry insiders say it’s a safe bet he’ll be the most celebrated celebrity who never works again.
“There comes a tipping point where the number of allegations in the number of jurisdictions reaches a critical mass,” Priya Sopori, a former federal prosecutor and current partner at Greenberg Glusker, tells THR. “There are certain cases that have reached that tipping point, and Bill Cosby and Kevin Spacey are two examples.”
Stay on top of the latest in L.A. food and culture. Sign up for our newsletters today.