30 Busted in SoCal Gang Sweep as Cartel Threatens ‘Mayhem’ for All Baja

San Bernardino cops busted 30 in a gang raid Friday while a drug cartel is attempting to own the streets of Baja by threatening mass violence
376

Three weeks after an an eight-year-old girl was shot in the face in a gang-related incident in San Bernardino, multiple law enforcement agencies conducted a gang sweep of the area Friday, arresting around 30 suspects on felony charges.

“Recently, a beautiful, innocent, 8-year-old girl was shot in the face by gang members as she played in front of her home,” San Bernardino Police Department Chief Darren Goodman said in a statement announcing the sweep Friday, KTLA reports. Goodman said the police action was in response to “increasing criminal gang activity in the city of San Bernardino.”

That shooting, along with a string of recent murders, have all been determined to be gang-related, authorities said. There have already been 55 homicides in the city this year, according to NBC News, which is above the annual average.

The sting was conducted by officers from SBPD, as well as police departments in Rialto, Fontana, Redlands and other areas as part of an operation called “SMASH”—San Bernardino Movement Against Street Hoodlums.

Many of the arrests were made on drug and firearm charges, while others were for probation and parole violations. Officials said officers seized at least 16 guns in the raid, according to NBC.

“Each firearm we take from the hand of a criminal, it is preventing a potential shooting or a potential homicide,” Captain Nelson Carrington of SBPD told the network. “As many firearms as we can get off the streets from these gentlemen the better for our city.”

Chief Goodman also stated, “I refuse to allow gang members or other violent criminals to operate with impunity in San Bernardino,” according to the San Bernardino Sun.

Meanwhile, no such law enforcement effort seems possible in Baja California right now, where a drug cartel has warned residents and visitors in the Mexican border state that it intends to inflict “mayhem” and mass violence across the area all weekend.

As Fox News reports, Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG) sent out a stark alert that it would be committing violence against anyone on the streets this weekend in cities throughout Northern Baja California.

The message, in Spanish, read: “Be warned. As of Friday at 10 p.m. through Sunday at 3 a.m. we’re going to create mayhem so the (expletive) government frees our people. We’re the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, we don’t want to hurt good people but it’s best they don’t go outside, we’re going to attack anyone we see on the streets on these days.”

By 9 p.m. Friday, more than a dozen vehicles had been set on fire at key intersections around Tijuana and on the highway leading to the beach community of Rosarito to the south, according to Fox.

KTLA puts the figure at 28 vehicles damaged—including 17 in Tijuana, three in Rosarito, two in Tecate, four in Ensenada and two in Mexicali. The station says reports also indicate that 13 people were arrested in connection with the arson events and other acts of vandalism.

The cartel issued the warning seeking the release of members who are currently guests of the Mexican prison system. Similar threats and acts of violence have taken place during the last few days in other Mexican cities such as Juarez, Celaya and Guadalajara, according to KTLA.

The United States Consulate in Tijuana issued the following advisory on Saturday:


Stay on top of the latest in L.A. food and culture. Sign for our newsletters today