Cosmetics magnate Max Factor, who popularized the term “makeup,” invented the celluloid-friendly greasepaint that earned him a cadre of admiring celebrities and a near monopoly in the entertainment industry. His business grew so rapidly, he had to move to larger and larger buildings every few years until he settled on a location near Hollywood and Highland. True to form, he gave his new headquarters a glamorous face-lift (with help from noted theater architect S. Charles Lee). The grand opening in 1935 was a blockbuster event: klieg lights, A-listers, traffic cops. Actress Marsha Hunt was pictured outside the following year (inset); to this day she has yet to set foot inside the “For Brunettes Only” room. The interior was restored in 2003 and is now on view in its new home, the Hollywood Museum.
Photograph by Dustin Snipes. Inset Photo: Bruce Torrance/ Hollywoodphotographs.com.