Photograph courtesy skyscrapercity.com
Six years before he led a mass suicide in Guyana, Jones and his People’s Temple purchased an ornate old church at Hoover and Alvarado streets. The Romanesque landmark was built in 1912 as the First Church of Christ, Scientist and became the Iglesia Adventista Central after Jones’s departure in 1978. Like generations of mystics and spiritualists before him, Jones also rented the Embassy Auditorium at 9th and Grand for his preaching. That location is slated to become a boutique hotel; the auditorium will be reincarnated as a concert venue, with faith healers replaced by rock stars.