The theater was called the Arrow when it opened in 1925. In the 1960s, it was renamed the Linda Lea and began playing Japanese films. Closed in the mid-’80s, the building was largely demolished a couple of years ago; a postmodern theater with raked seating rose from the ruins. The Imagin-Asian entertainment company moved in to show films from around the Pacific Rim, but not for long. Now the theater is called the Downtown Independent and hosts edgy features, docs, and yes, the occasional film for an anime otaku.
Photograph courtesy of Flickr/alex_lee2001