Photograph courtesy www.imommies.com
The home of the Grand Slam was born in a midcentury holy land—the quintessential insta- burb named Lakewood, which essayist D.J. Waldie describes as “A place built all at once” and “settled all at once.” Harold Butler and Richard Jezak opened Danny’s Donuts at 4917 Bellflower Boulevard in 1954, quickly added a grill, and expanded the menu to resemble the one we see today. That outpost mimicked a modernist ranch house, as did about a baker’s dozen of Danny’s other locations that were built before 1959, when the name changed to Denny’s. In 1965, the Bellflower Boulevard operation became Lakewood’s first KFC, and it’s still open.