Ask Chris: Rest in Pieces


Q:  I want to ditch my crappy 1992 car. Do I pay to have it hauled away, or can I leave it somewhere for the DMV to dispose of?

A: The DMV doesn’t take in clunkers, so if you don’t want to send it to a junkyard, you have two options: donate it (try or offer it to the California Bureau of Automotive Repair, which pays up to $1,500 to retire heaps. To qualify for the latter, the car must have at least one working headlight and be driven to a wrecking yard, among other requirements. If all else fails, you can turn your clunker into a giant planter.