Login / Register
ORNo Account? Register here.
Chris Crary’s Local Black Cod
The Hyde Sunset Kitchen + Cocktails chef shares a recipe if you want the grub, but not the flash bulbs
In 2006, we weren’t going to Hyde for dinner. In fact, most of us weren’t going to Hyde at all—the then pinnacle of Hollywood nightlife was harder to get into than Bestia before 10 p.m. This Sunday SBE’s famed club will be reborn as Hyde Sunset Kitchen + Cocktails in a grand new space on the Sunset Strip. Rebranding aside, we’d still be going more for the cocktails than the kitchen if it weren’t for the guy manning it: Chris Crary, Top Chef alumnus and a proven wizard with modern California cuisine. You may also remember him from Whist, formerly the restaurant at Santa Monica’s Viceroy Hotel, where he used local ingredients for a sharp menu of light, produce-driven dishes. We can expect the same devotion to sourcing at Hyde, where he’ll be serving smallish plates like local black cod with puffed sushi rice and miso-cauliflower puree. And though Crary has shared the recipe so you can have a Hyde-inspired meal at home, your chances of seeing a Lohan with your dinner go down drastically.
Local Black Cod
- 4 6-ounce portions of cod
- 10 grams of minced garlic
- 10 grams of minced ginger
- 10 grams minced lemongrass
- ½ cup mirin
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup miso paste
- 1 jalapeno, cut in half lengthwise
- Combine all ingredients into saucepot. Bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes while whisking.
- Remove and discard jalapeno.
- Blend mixture in Vitaprep, blender, or food processor and let cod marinate for 24 hours.
- Cook the cod for 5 minutes or until done, in a 425 degree oven.
Miso Cauliflower Puree
- 1 cauliflower, large, small diced
- 1 onion, yellow, sliced
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Combine all ingredients EXCEPT miso paste into saucepot. Simmer on low, covered with a cartouche for approximately 20minutes/until cooked through and tender.
- Once cooked through add mixture and miso paste into Vitaprep or blender and puree.
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 2 cup water
- 2 nori sheets
- 20 grams togarashi
- Combine rice and water into saucepot and simmer until done. Approximately 20 minutes. While rice is cooking, toast nori sheets on plancha until dry and crispy.
- Once crispy, grind nori in spice grinder until it becomes almost powder form. Add togarashi to nori.
- After rice is cooked fully, spread rice onto sheet pan and re-dehydrate rice (place above oven). After rice has dehydrated and become hard, fry in 400 degree oil for approximately 7 seconds until puffed. After rice has been puffed, season with nori and togarashi dust.
Place the cauliflower puree on the plate with a spoon. Then top with the cooked cod. Garnish with puffed rice, kumquat, and micro shiso.