Login / Register
ORNo Account? Register here.
Fourth of July Recipe: Stumptown Coffee & Compartes Love Nuts Ice Cream
A crunchy blend of love nuts and smooth coffee from Salt & Straw
Later this summer, Portland’s Salt & Straw is opening its first L.A. ice cream shop in Larchmont Village. All the flavors will be made locally using all-natural cream from family-owned Rockview Dairy, and the crew plans to highlight local ingredients and artisans from throughout Southern California. Angelenos love their coffee, but getting a hot caffeine fix on a blazing summer day is not ideal. Lucky for you, Salt & Straw has a solution that can easily be made at home – STumptown coffee ice cream. All you need is cool cream, sugar, crunchy Compartes love nuts, Stumptown coffee, and an ice cream maker and you’re in business. Heck, you can even open your own creamery. Happy tasting!
Stumptown Coffee & Compartes Love Nuts Ice Cream Recipe
Ice Cream Base:
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 2/3 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup or tapioca syrup
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Stumptown Cold Brew
- Mix together the sugar and salt with the xanthan gum.
- Pour the heavy cream and milk and cold brew in a pot and whisk in the sugar/xanthan mixture.
- Add the corn syrup.
- Heat the milk stirring constantly until it thickens to a nappe (you can use a spoon to test this by dipping in the spoon and wiping your finger down the back of the spoon. If the cream holds onto the spoon and your finger mark is distinct, you have reached the perfect texture.)
- Add the cream.
- Cool the ice cream base for at least 24 hours.
Churning the Ice Cream:
- 1 batch Stumptown Ice Cream base
- 1 pack Compartes Pecan Love Nuts
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Chop the Compartes Love Nuts to delicious little ¼ inch nuggets.
- Build a double boiler by putting a glass or metal bowl on top of a small pot of simmering water. Melt the chocolate chips in this double boiler.
- Churn the ice cream according to your ice cream maker’s instructions.
- Once the ice cream has frozen to a soft serve consistency in the machine, turn the machine off.
- Slowly pour the melted chocolate straight into the ice cream machine. Fold the chocolate into the soft ice cream by hand. The chocolate will harden in thin ribbons as it sits in the cream.
- While the ice cream is still soft, fold in the Love Nuts pieces by hand.
- Scrape out the ice cream from the maker into airtight, freezable containers.
- Store the ice cream in the coldest part of your freezer for 12 hours to harden.