Login / Register
ORNo Account? Register here.
The 10 Best Ways To Get Drunk With Your Mom on Mother’s Day
These spots still have space this upcoming Sunday, May 12.
Let’s face it, Mom is always more fun after she’s had a few. She doesn’t bug you about stuff like, oh, why you’re not married or haven’t given her grandchildren yet. Instead, she giggles. A lot. So for Mother’s Day here are 10 ways to make the both of you happy. We’re talking brunches with bottomless champagne and mimosas, a boozy afternoon tea and specialty cocktails made in her honor. OK, she may just be able to handle one alcoholic beverage on her special day but, hey, don’t let that stop you.
1. Willie Jane: Chef Govind Armstrong plans to treat your mama right with his Southern three-course Mother’s Day brunch featuring shrimp, grits and eggs, braised short rib hash, and buttermilk waffles with bourbon-glazed bananas. Brunch (11 a.m. to 3 p.m.) is $42; an extra $15 gets you free-flowing mimosas.
2. Cliff’s Edge: Introduce your Ma to that special gentleman in your life, bar chef Matthew Biancaniello. He’ll be tending bar on the Cliff’s Edge patio during Chef Vartan Abgaryan’s Mother’s Day Brunch and serving up special cocktails. Think: yellow heirloom tomato and wild fennel Bloody Mary, a rhubarb-infused Pimm’s Cup and an “Italian Waltz Mimosa” with Aperol and blood orange.
3. Langham Pasadena’s Pink Chocolate Afternoon Tea: Treat that classy lady to pinky-up afternoon tea with a refillable champagne or Kir Royale cocktail. For $59 per person, she’ll be sipping the finest tea and nibbling on tea sandwiches, scones with Devonshire cream, creme brulee and mousse torts. Just make sure she doesn’t go anywhere near the grand pink chocolate fountain surrounded by chocolate sculptures if she’s had one champie too many. Tea is from 12 to 3 p.m. 10 percent of the proceeds will be donated to the Huntington Hospital Cancer Center.
4. Esterel: Sofitel Los Angeles’ brand-new restaurant will welcome mothers for brunch with bottomless mimosas, a carving station with pepper crusted tenderloin, California oysters on a half shell, Harissa-rubbed lamb chop, and other such fanciness from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. for $68 per person.
5. Mr. C Beverly Hills: Take Mom out to a brunch where she can don those designer sunglasses you got her for Mother’s Day. This buffet is served up poolside from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Your favorite gal can gorge herself on made-to-order omelets, waffles, and pancakes and partake of carved roasted turkey and roast beef. If there’s still room in her belly, dessert is tiramisu or panna cotta. This one will run you $65 a person, plus $18 for bottomless Bellinis.
6. Wilshire Restaurant: If you forget to get your mom a bouquet, Wilshire has you covered as it will be greeting all moms with a rose and glass of champagne. Afterward it’s all the mimosas and Bloody Marys she can drink on the outdoor patio. Don’t worry, she can fortify her stomach with Chef Nyesha Arrington’s all-you-can-eat brunch featuring crab benedict, brioche French toast, as well as a dessert buffet with huge cookies and mini cupcakes. Brunch is $35 a person (including the booze) and runs from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
7. Susan Feniger’s Street: If your mom’s a vegan or vegetarian, take her to Street where, for $25, she can enjoy unlimited vegan and vegetarian small plates like Korean bibimbap lettuce wrap, falafel poppers, and jackfruit banh mi panini and, for an additional $15, bottomless mimosas.
8. Asia de Cuba: Sorry, only moms will get treated to the bottomless mimosas and Bloody Marys here. But you at least get three drinks with your $59 brunch. At this newly revamped brunch (which runs from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.), build your own bao, peruse the dim sum station, and pig out on traditional brunch dishes, sushi, and ceviche.
9. Trattoria Neapolis: Bottomless mimosas are an additional $12 at this a la carte brunch (11 a.m. to 3 p.m.) which features American breakfast dishes with an Italian twist, like the breakfast pizza, proscuitto benedict and “Polenta, Piggy, & Eggs.” For those who don’t like to be pigeonholed into one cocktail a meal, there are also brunch drinks available like the Neapolis Bloody Mary. Beer lovers can get the “Kegs & Eggs” bottomless Craftsman 1903 Lager option for an additional $15.
10. Sotto Mother’s Day Cocktails: If World’s Best Mom prefers to drink her meal, treat her to Sotto’s mom-inspired cocktails ($9 each) like the “Sophia Petrillo” (an amaro Mai Tai) with lime juice, orgeat, Amaro Montenegro, and Diplomatico rum. Or the bubbly “Bella Notte” maybe more up her alley with its muddled blueberries, lemon juice, violet liqueur, Plymouth gin and prosecco.