Login / Register
ORNo Account? Register here.
Recipe: Mohawk Bend’s Smoked Shorty Pizza
The Echo Park restaurant celebrates its two year anniversary with its popular beefy pie
They grow up so fast, don’t they? Echo Park’s beer-focused café, Mohawk Bend, is celebrating two years inside its converted century-old Vaudeville theater and we’re all invited to tonight’s birthday bash. That’s when Mohawk owner Tony Yanow unveils the latest beer from Golden Road Brewing Company (another one of his babies) that was brewed specially for the occasion: a Belgian-style golden ale called One Hundred and Two (a reference to the theater’s age). Pints of the stuff will be washing down tonight’s special Best of Mohawk dinner, which features some of the menu’s greatest hits, including the Smoked Shorty Pizza. One of the veggie-friendly restaurant’s meatier favorites, the thin-crust pie is topped with beer-braised short rib, smoked red grapes, bleu cheese, and crisp watercress. The sweet and smoky creation is swell, don’t get us wrong, but the real treat might be the leftover short rib, which we’ll put on just about anything. (The remaining tall cans of Point the Way IPA don’t hurt, either). Visit Mohawk.la to reserve a last minute spot for the dinner.
Smoked Shorty Pizza
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 cup smoked red grapes (recipe below)
1 small handful thinly sliced red onion
4 oz. of pulled braised short ribs (recipe below)
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 7 oz. pizza dough (recipe below)
1 small handful of clean watercress
1/4 oz. of aged balsamic
1. Stretch one ball of pizza dough over a floured surface and then add the ingredients in the order they are listed, except watercress, balsamic & chives
2. Fire pizza in a 500-degree oven until golden brown (it takes about 5 min)
3. Cut pizza into desired number of slices and garnish with remaining ingredients
Braised Beef Short Ribs
Yields more than enough for pizza
5 pounds beef short ribs whole bone in
1 onion large dice
2 carrots peeled large dice
1/2 bunch celery cleaned large dice
1 qt Golden Road Point the Way IPA
3 qt vegetable stock
Handful of fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano would work)
1. Clean shot ribs of silver skin if any, season aggressively with salt and pepper
2. Sear short ribs bone side up until golden brown then put into a large braising pan big enough to hold ribs in one layer.
3. Add the remaining ingredients then cover and cook in a 350-degree oven for three hours or until beef is fork tender
Smoked Red Grapes
1 pound red grapes
1. Smoke at 110 degrees for 45 minutes with your preferred method and wood (we like to use hickory)
Yields 2 large pies
1 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups tepid water
2 tbl olive oil
2 1/4 cups organic “oo” flour
1. Place yeast in medium bowl and add water to dissolve the yeast.
2. Allow the yeast to rest for about 5 minutes, until it turns creamy.
3. Stir in olive oil and gradually add the flour mixing until well incorporated.
4. Scrape down bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place for about an hour, or until the dough has doubled in volume.
2 to 2 1/4 cups unbleached organic “00” flour
2 to 3 tsp. salt
1. In a kitchen mixer with large mixing bowl and dough hook attachment. Use rubber spatula to deflate sponge, which will be sticky and loose.
2. Add 2 cups of flour and salt to the sponge and mix on low speed for 3 minutes.
3. Increase speed to medium and bring dough together adding more flour if needed. The dough may be a little sticky, you should be able to grip it without having it stick uncomfortably to your finger.
4. Allow dough to rest for another hour with a little olive oil on it covered in warm place, or until its doubled in size.