Login / Register
ORNo Account? Register here.
Mom’s Breakfast in Bed: Egg-Topped Asparagus from Cliff’s Edge
Time to let Mom cash in all those breakfast in bed coupons
Flowers? Check. Macaroni necklace? Strung. Goofy card? Signed and sealed. Brunch reservations? Um… Don’t worry about it; not all moms want to spend Mother’s Day in a stuffy dining room swarmed with screaming tots and room temperature seafood buffets. If you forgot to plan ahead— or simply have a mom who prefers to spend Sunday in her jammies—then why not attempt that other great Mother’s Day tradition: breakfast in bed? With its stunning courtyard and sophisticated Cal-French grub, Silver Lake’s Cliff’s Edge will likely be a popular destination this Sunday. No matter—you can make its stunning egg-topped asparagus with bacon fat béarnaise in the comfort of your (OK, your mom’s) kitchen. Check out the recipe we snagged from chef Vartan Abgaryan—no reservations needed.
Asparagus with Bacon Fat Bearnaise, Garlic Toast, Arugula, and Fried Egg from Cliff’s Edge
- 5 jumbo asparagus, peeled
- 2 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts iced water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Bring 2 quarts of water and 1 teaspoon of salt to boil.
- Drop peeled asparagus into boiling water for 1 minute.
- Remove asparagus and shock in iced water to cool down.
- Heat oil on medium heat and add garlic. Let garlic cook for 1 minute.
- Add asparagus and butter and turn heat to low. Slowly roast asparagus in butter and garlic for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- 1 piece of sourdough toast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- Heat oil on low heat and cook garlic for two minutes.
- Remove garlic, turn heat to medium and add toast. Toast for 1 minute on each side.
- Remove and rest on towel to drain toast of excess oil.
Fried Sunny Egg
- Heat nonstick pan with 2 teaspoons of oil at medium heat.
- Add egg and cook for 2 minutes. Keep sunny side up, or flip to cook egg over medium or over hard.
Bacon Fat Bearnaise
- ¼ pound butter
- ½ cup bacon fat
- 4 shallots
- 2 tablespoons tarragon leaves whole
- 2 tablespoons tarragon leaves – chopped
- 3 white peppercorn, crushed
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 dash Tabasco
- Salt to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- In a separate medium-sized saucepan, gently melt the butter over medium heat.
- To the saucepan, add shallots, tarragon, peppercorns, vinegar, and wine, and reduce to about 1/4 of a cup.
- Combine the reduced liquid mix and egg yolks in a metal bowl.
- Place the bowl over the pot of boiling water, making sure the bowl does not fit entirely in the pot, but just sits over it. Whisk the contents in the bowl constantly. When the yolk mixture begins to thicken slightly, turn off the heat.
- While whisking, very slowly drizzle in the melted butter and bacon fat. Whisk in the tabasco and chopped tarragon leaves. Add salt as needed.
Place toast on plate, top toast with asparagus and fried egg. Drizzle with béarnaise and top with arugula flowers and leaves.