Brunch Recipe: Sunny Spot's French Toast with Rum Whipped Cream
Brunch is back at Roy Choi's Caribbean haven! Celebrate with this sweet morning treat
This weekend marks the official start of brunch season. Easter kicks things off in a big way, and the warmer weather has us longing for sunny patios upon which to drown our morning grogginess in syrup and bloody marys. Right on time, then, is Roy Choi with Saturday’s return of weekend brunch at Sunny Spot. The morning menu includes vaguely Caribbean dishes such as Diablo shrimp and grits, a spicy Hangover Plate with rice, beans, eggs, and plantain chips, and a stiff rum punch. Choi’s banana French toast with maple syrup and rum cream is simple enough to whip up at home for an Easter meal in your bunny slippers.
Sunny Spot's Banana French Toast with Rum Whipped Cream
6 large pieces of 1-inch thick sliced bread (white, brioche, or pullman bread
3/4 C half and half
1.5 t sugar
2 T dark rum
Pinch of grated nutmeg
1 C heavy whipping cream
1/2 C crème fraiche
1/2 C coconut milk
1/4 C sugar
4 T dark rum
Real maple syrup
1. Cut bread the night before and let it sit out on the counter and allow
to get slightly stale.
2. Puree all batter ingredients in blender until smooth.
3. Whip all whipped cream ingredients together until soft peaks form.
4. Submerge bread in batter for 30 seconds. Remove and drain off excess batter.
5. Melt butter in a sauté pan and cook toast on medium heat on both sides
until golden brown.
6. Serve with rum whipped cream, warm maple syrup, and dusting of powdered sugar.