Feeding the Stars: Wolfgang's Shopping List for the Oscars
1,600 pounds of butter, anyone?
Despite seeing several starlets attending Hollywood's biggest gala last night who don't appear to eat anything ever, there was quite a shopping list for Wolfgang Puck and his cooking crew at the Oscars.
Team Puck—which itself consisted of approximately 350 workers—ordered an impressive amount of ingredients for the 1,500 attendees, including 1,500 bottles of Thienot Champagne. (That's our kind of math!) Good Morning America reports that WP also needed:
- 1,600 pounds unsalted butter
- 6,500 wood-fired flat breads (in the shape of Oscars, natch)
- 300 Jidori chickens
- 600 Maine lobsters
- 7,500 shrimp (plus 30 gallons of cocktail sauce)
- 20,000 pieces of microgreens
- 5,000 cage-free eggs
- 10 pounds white truffles from Alba
- 10 pounds winter black truffles from Burgundy
- 200 quarts of heavy cream
- 1,000 pounds of Guittard bittersweet chocolate
- 10 pounds of edible gold dust (does this make your poop shimmer?)
- 200 pounds McGrath Family Farm strawberries
- 300 pounds Pudwill Berry Farms blackberries
This is just a sampling of what went into the meals at the Academy Awards ceremony, and doesn't even begin to include whatever may have been served at any of the countless after-parties.
Regardless of all the opulence and decadence behind the menu, we couldn't help but chuckle when we saw this tweet from local comedian Robert Buscemi:
We definitely needed that laugh after our favorite animated short—"Fresh Guacamole" by Santa Monica filmmaker PES—didn't get the win. Who doesn't love guacamole?!