This recipe is great because it hides the veggies in the sauce. Spinach is sweet and the color is still reddish so not to throw off the color too much.
Penne Pasta with Spinach Bolognese
By Neal Fraser
Makes 4 servings
1 lb. Penne Pasta, good quality from Italy like rustichella
1 ea. onion yellow, peeled and diced
3 ea. garlic cloves, smashed
10 ea. Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch basil
1/2 lb. ground beef, 10% fat
1/2 lb. spinach, cleaned
1/3 oz. piece of Regiano parmaganio
1. Sweat Chopped onion and garlic in olive oil till translucent.
2. Add the meat and brown.
3. Season with salt and add tomatoes and 1 cup of water.
4. Cook for 20 minutes over medium flame.
5. Add the spinach and basil and cook till soft.
6. Blend in the pot with a hand blender till smooth.
7. Check seasoning. May need more salt and a touch of sugar if the tomatoes are not sweet. Reserve.
8. Cook pasta in boiling salted water till tender. About 10 minutes.
9. Strain pasta and add to sauce. Mix together and serve.
10. Garnish with fresh graded Parmesan cheese.