The seventh annual Los Angeles magazine Food Event takes place on Sunday, October 21, and once again we couldn’t be prouder of the stellar line-up of restaurants. To whet your appetite, we caught up with some of our guest chefs to find out what they’ll be making and what they are most excited to see at the event—that includes the zebras and camels. Get tickes and more information.
Chef Ricardo Zarate
1. What other restaurant are you looking forward to seeing at the event?
The Royce, Farmshop, Milo and Olive, Stella Rossa
2. Have you decided what you will be serving? If not, what kinds of things do you have to take into account when choosing a dish to serve to 3,000 people at an outdoor event?
I always try to pick ingredients that I believe will please the crowd. I always think about potential allergies or religious restrictions. My goal is to have as many people as possible to try the dishes. If I have the chance to do two dishes then the second one is always more adventurous.
3. What fall ingredient currently has you inspired?
4. Quick, what is the last thing you ate?
I am in Australia right now, and we just went sea fishing. I caught a striped tuna and when we got back to shore we had fresh tuna sashimi!
5. Saddlerock Ranch-resident Camel vs. Zebra: who wins?
CAMEL. They are so strong, and I am so amazed that nature can prepare an animal so well for life. It's incredible to me this animal's ability to survive.
Photo Credit: Elizabeth Daniels