10 Questions for the Greatest Guitarist You’ve Never Heard Of

Joe Bonamassa opens up about building a 25-year career at age 36.

Joe Bonamassa may be the greatest guitarist you’ve never heard of—and he’s fine with that. A nontraditional blues rock guitarist, Bonamassa has recorded nearly 30 studio, live, and collaborative albums. He opened for B.B. King at age 12, sold out the Royal Albert Hall in 2009, and has shared the stage with his hero, Eric Clapton. Yet he often goes unrecognized even at meet-and-greets with his own fans. His dry, self-deprecating sense of humor embraces the joke; bumper stickers reading “Bona-who?” sit at his merch table. “Some people take it as very literal or as ego,” he says. “But to know me is to know the crappy jokes. Those come free every concert.” Even if his recent Grammy nomination for his collaboration with Beth Hart were to change all that, Bonamassa would rather be at home watching Storage Wars than walking a red carpet. He does what he does for one reason: He’s hopelessly in love with the guitar.

We spent a few minutes with Bonamassa before he headlined the Dolby Theatre on Friday night and accepted an RIAA platinum disc for his Live at the Royal Albert Hall DVD. The fact that he played the site of the Academy Awards is perfect irony for the Los Angeles resident who calls himself a “guitar geek done good in a town based on celebrity.”

First, a Grammy nomination. Then, an RIAA platinum disc. What’s going through your head?
We’ve only done sixteen albums, eight or nine DVDs. Honestly, I’m happier for Beth Hart. She’s so criminally underrated. I’m a maverick. I lurk in the shadows of the music business. We promote our own shows. We don’t have a booking agent. We have our own record company. We do our own tours. The most traditional music industry thing we have is Michael Jensen and his publicity firm. And our distribution company. So, I’m more happy for Beth Hart. We probably won’t win but the fact enough people got behind the record is cool.

How do you define your sound?
It’s a combination of every influence I’ve ever had from classic rock to blues to acoustic music to Americana, British blues, and heavy metal. People who buy my albums know that anything could show up: a country tune, something that’s heavy rock, or a 12-bar Chicago shuffle with horns. Somehow, it all glues together. You have to call it something. It’s blues-ish but it’s not blues in the traditional sense. It’s not even close.

When you shared a sold-out Royal Albert Hall show with Eric Clapton, did you feel like you’d arrived? Do you ever feel like you’ve arrived?
I identify [more with British blues]. I can walk down any street at any point in time, anywhere, and no one will recognize me. I even show up to my own meet-and-greets and I’m shaking someone’s hand and they say, “When’s Joe going to come out?” I think I’m well known by a certain genre of people. I have no interest in hit songs. I have no interest in videos. I have no interest in award shows. Anything having to do with things that are fickle. I’ve spent 25 years building a foundation based on hard work. This year we did 99 shows in 237 days across the globe. Played a 6,000-seat venue in Moscow, sold it out. We did arenas in Europe. We have Red Rocks booked for next year. People go, “Who is that guy?” I like.

After so many albums, live DVDs, and collaborations, you remain best known to a certain subset of music fans. Do you prefer it that way?
We’re the QVC of music. We use Eric Clapton as the high watermark. If you go see Eric Clapton, you’re going to hear blues. You’re going to hear the hits. Some people are there just to hear “Wonderful Tonight,” “Cocaine,” and “Layla.” Most of the Clapton show, though, is blues. [My business partner] Roy and I looked at each other and said, “There’s 15,000 people here. There’s gotta be 15,000 people in this market who are willing to come out on a Tuesday night and pay to see blues rock. We have to find those people.” I’m not trying to find 13-year-old Justin Bieber fans.

Do you think the younger generation and the modern rock world have lost their connection to the roots?
Not with the Black Keys, Jack White, the White Stripes. There are some other cats too. I think the music those guys are making is incredible; quite frankly, it’s more traditional blues than I’m doing. The fact that they found an arena audience really gives me hope because rock kids, they’re lovin’ it. The thing I try to encourage is that if you can play, play. Listen to Nat King Cole records. Listen to Ray Charles records. Listen to how pitch perfect they were. The horns, the background singers—they were cutting direct to disc. I sound like a grumpy old man because I basically am. Myself included, there’s not a generation of musicians that could stay up with those guys and those ladies like Ella Fitzgerald. It’s dangerous how much help musicians get now.

Growing up, you played with people like B.B. King. What values did you learn at that age?
B.B. always used to say, “Keep doing what you’re doing. Watch your money.” B.B.’s a businessman and a survivor. If you believe in it long enough, it’ll gain traction. It may not be in the time frame you wanted, which was my case, but better late than never. We kept putting out record after record after record and no one would listen. All of a sudden, you get a few nudges in the right direction. Basically, that concert—the platinum disc sitting over there—was the precipice of all those nudges.

Would you consider that your watershed moment?
Absolutely. That was the make-or-break moment. If that thing came out average or was an epic fail, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. But when it happened, it became a baseline. Then you go, “Okay, this got interesting.” Then the real work started.

At this point in your career, what musical horizons do you still want to reach?
I don’t think I have a definitive sound yet. I think it’s an amalgamated sound of different people. I don’t have a “Layla.” I have some songs people would be disappointed if I didn’t play but nothing earth shattering. I’ve got to get off my high horse and start writing.

If fans are meeting you for the first time, what do you want them to know?
I’m happy when people come up to me but—I know it’s odd to say in a town based on the whole TMZ spectacle—I don’t really like having my picture taken. I love the guitar. I’m blessed to be able to make a living playing the guitar. I’m happy to talk to folks on the street about playing the guitar. I’m not the guy who walks into the room hoping to be noticed.

Will we see sneaking in the back door of the Grammys to avoid the red carpet?
I’m not going. Beth is going to go. I want to be home watching Storage Wars. I’m a guitar geek done good in a town based on celebrity. All this is really just an excuse to go around the country and collect guitars.

Comments

1. jackie scott

January 18, 2014 at 3:50 am

my kind of poeple a super guitarist thanks for your music

2. Jan Haflin

January 18, 2014 at 4:19 am

Joe..I get you……you are the consummate musician…your technique and sense of dynamics are over the top…I don’t think I’ve heard a better guitarist…not note for note..but in a whole song what and how you play..is unmatched to my ear…I play keys…but I love a good guitar…as a matter of fact I had Michael Rhodes on a Nashville recording session some years back. It was so cool to see him play bass with you on the Uk tour…(on my iPad ..not in person) I also played Royal Albert Hall with Brenda Lee some years back. I gotta kick out of watching your show in that venue….what a place..a highlight of my life…. Hope you win a Grammy…I’ll keep listening to you…I’m a fan!! Jan

3. Patricia Van Dyke

January 18, 2014 at 4:53 am

I think Joe Bonamassa has yet to realize is how charismatic he is. He is very handsome, well spoken, and his conversations that I have observed online are extremely interesting. He may be a bit bashful about being in the limelight, but he has no reason for this because he has worked hard and earned his right to shine. I have followed his musical career for several years and he just gets better and better. His talent seems to know no bounds. His concerts will rock you, rivet you, and leave you aching for more. This man is going to outshine many of the greatest we have seen before.

4. James

January 18, 2014 at 11:35 am

I’ve been blowing Joe’s trumpet for some time now. I grew up with the 50’s and 60’s pioneers and Joe is right up there with the best. The people who know know. Great interview. Thanks

5. Teesha Nelson

January 18, 2014 at 4:11 pm

One thing I can say I just started following Joe’s career and watched his performances and was absoutly intriqued that he was so good and wondered why hadnt ever seen or heard him before.This guy is amazing and not only am i amazed at his talent of being the best guitarist i had ever heard I am so drawn in to h bevause of his true a “real geniune sincere guy that doesnt have a big head or is errogant in any manner.He deserves all the fame for he has worked long and hard to become what heis.Guys like Joe deserves reconigtion and our spplaude to be as humble as he is.You cant help wanting to see him glourish in the music industry. By a fan Teesha Nelson

6. Andrew Shydlowsky

January 18, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Mr. Bonamassa is by far my favorite Guitar player/ Musician in the world. This man has turned the entire world of marketing and self promotion into a template for the future. I have all his DVD’s, all his CD’s ,T-Shirts, key chains, and every time he plays Toronto I am there as close as possible to the stage. One of my “bucket List” goals is to follow Joe and his Band around Europe in the near future and go to these venues and see his shows. At 36 he has the knowledge of people my age (53) when it comes to music of all types, and in my humble opinion, has more than paid his dues,and should be selling out Soccer Stadiums very soon. Incredibly talented Man!!

7. Jerry

January 18, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I found this part of the article ironic , “Roy and I looked at each other and said, “There’s 15,000 people here. There’s gotta be 15,000 people in this market who are willing to come out on a Tuesday night and pay to see blues rock. We have to find those people.” Well that’s exactly how I found out about Joe. I was on a Clapton blog, and people there were saying “if you like Eric, you Love this new guy Joe Bonamassa!” That was back in 2004, and once I saw him (along with 50 other people in the audience) I turned all my music loving friends on to him, and they’ve been fans ever since! We wear Joe shirts (the original “Harley-like emblem” and we’ve had people say “who’s Joe Bonamassa?…you know his stuff?” We always say….”just wait….” And WE get high fives from ‘em after the gigs. He’s definitely a class act.

8. Greg

January 18, 2014 at 11:16 pm

I love your attitude. It’s all about the music. Everything else is secondary. My wife and I love your work. You’re an artist. That’s the highest compliment I can come up with.

9. Stan

January 19, 2014 at 5:35 pm

I admire Joe for being so true to what he loves. In this world it is hard to stay grounded with success. Joe has managed to do so. Keep playing and I will keep listening and telling people how trueley amazing your playing is. Togethet we will keep shows packed and the Bona Who? shirts selling…lol I do have that plate on my car by the way..lol Best to you Joe!

10. Kevin H

January 21, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Discovered Joe when the gig at the Royal was aired, big fan ever since. And my son is a developing blues-rock guitarist…this will be a must read for him. Keep up the great work JB. I would sure as hell know who were if you walked into the room. lol