Login / Register
ORNo Account? Register here.
This is the Most Impressive Jell-O Shot Ever
Soho House’s Bar Manager, Kate Grutman, shares her recipe for a mosaic treat with a boozy twist.
Impress your pool party pals with what has got to be the most beautiful Jell-O shot ever. It’s only one of the many flavors and colors that Soho House West Hollywood Bar Manager Kate Grutman likes to do. She first started making colorful Jell-O shots last year for my little ol’ blogiversary party and has been playing around with them ever since. “It’s such a crowd pleaser,” she says. ”I made some rainbow Jell-O shots for the Pride Party at Soho House last month. I used Vodka and Creme de Peche and it was all the rage, literally. They’re amazing for any occasion. You can get extra crazy with them. I love it.”
Pina Colada Jell-O by Kate Grutman of Soho House West Hollywood
Make the different flavors of Jell-O
1) In separate baking dishes or sheet pans between 2 inches to 4 inches deep prepare different flavors/colors of your choice. In this case I used lemon, lime, cherry, blue raspberry. Prepare the Jell-O according to the instructions on the Jell-O package but substitute the cold water with a chilled white rum of your choice. I like Cana Brava Rum by the 86 Company.
2) Allow the sheet pans of Jell-O to set thoroughly in the fridge.
3) Once the Jell-O sheets have set, cut them up into ribbons, lengthwise. Keep chilled.
Condensed Milk/Coconut Cream Jell-O
4) In a separate bowl mix unflavored gelatin with the called for amount of boiling water. Stir to dissolve. Substitute the cold water with condensed milk and coconut cream (preferably Coco Lopez) in equal parts. So 1/2 Coconut Cream to 1/2 condensed milk.
5) Stir to dissolve. Let the mixture cool.
Combine Jell-O ribbon and coconut cream Jell-O
6) In a separate baking sheet pan place the flavored/color Jell-O ribbons in your desired pattern. You can cross-hatch them, make random patterns. I've done checkered ones before that came out rad.
7) Pour the condensed milk mixture over the Jell-O that you have set up in the baking sheet pan. Refrigerate immediately.
8) Let it set. Cut into desired shapes and sized pieces to serve.