How to Order Butterbeer at Your Local Starbucks

Harry Potter fans: rejoice!

Butterbeer, the favored drink of clever young wizard Harry Potter and his gang of mischievous misfits, is now available at Starbucks locations nationwide, reports Entertainment Weekly. Here’s the Hogwarts-approved low-down on how to get it:

Drive or walk or bike or skip or fly your broom to the nearest Starbucks location in Los Angeles.

Approach the cashier counter.

Request a grande Creme Frappuccino with whole milk, three pumps of caramel syrup, three pumps of toffee nut syrup, and a caramel drizzle.

→ Note that if you ask for a Butterbeer by name the cashier might look at you like the confused muggle that he or she is. (Representatives from Starbucks have not responded with an official comment on the recipe).

Also, a warning: the amount of sugar and caffeine in the drink may cause you to spontaneously take flight.

Comments

1. CC

November 14, 2013 at 10:34 pm

But wait… is it hot or cold? What are those flakes on the drink in the picture?

1. MCK

November 16, 2013 at 1:05 am

This is a cold drink…hence frappuccino (their line of frozen drinks). The recipe is specifically for the grande size.

1. AA

January 17, 2014 at 6:30 pm

I got it yesterday, you can order it hot also

2. Haleyy

January 22, 2014 at 3:36 am

Cold but you can do the same with steamed whole milk for a hot version.

2. L

November 15, 2013 at 2:50 am

So fun! Although I’m reasonably sure the “creme” line of Frappuccinos is caffeine-free, so that spontaneous flight will be running entirely on sugar!

3. Denis

November 15, 2013 at 12:13 pm

The # of required pumps to flavor the drink will depend upon the size you order.
    What is shown in the picture above is NOT caramel drizzle on top!

1. MCK

November 16, 2013 at 1:06 am

I’ve read a blog post that went into this a little more detailed and gave a recipe for a hot version also. She said this particular recipe is for the grande size.

4. Aaj

November 15, 2013 at 5:14 pm

FYI: Creme Frappuccinos don’t have caffeine.

5. Robin Kohli

November 24, 2013 at 7:19 pm

This drink was pretty gross. Way too much syrup for the size of the drink. Neither my 12 year old son nor I could drink more than a few sips. If I were to order it again (and I don’t want to waste my money on this again), I would order it with the lite frap mix and 1 pump of each syrup instead of 3!

1. Brittany

December 3, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Yes, that recipe is wrong IMO and will send you into a diabetic coma.

I’ve had it close to a dozen times in the past few weeks, and the critical point is the ratio: only 1 pump of each for tall, 2 for grande, and 3 for venti. I think that amount gives it the adequate butterscotch flavor, but not to the degree that it’s overpowering.

1. Harley

March 22, 2014 at 12:27 am

Can you only get it in Los Angeles? I live in Missouri, but would like to try it.