Login / Register
ORNo Account? Register here.
Bestia Opens Its Doors; Yelpers Go Crazy
Everyone’s been practically tinkling in their pants, anticipating the grand opening of what will undoubtedly be downtown L.A.’s newest gem: Bestia. While its doors parted last month for the latest installment of Test Kitchen, this last Friday officially marked the day that Bestia proper proclaimed itself open for business.
Taking a look at the opening weekend’s Yelp reviews reveals some pretty giddy excitement, and we’re not at all inclined to believe it’s undue. You’ve got chef Ori Menashe (Angelini Osteria) running the kitchen, focusing in rustic Italian fare—think beef heart tartare, house-made headcheese, and hand-cut chestnut pasta—with barman extraordinaire Julian Cox (Playa, Rivera, Picca, Sotto, Short Order) handling drinks, pastry chef Genevieve Gergis heading up sweets, all under the keen eye of savvy restaurateur Bill Chait. (View Bestia’s full menu.)
Here’s just a sampling of what could be found on Bestia’s Yelp page (bold emphases ours):
- “I ate pig’s face. And I was not high on LSD […] I walked in and wanted to crash there for the night/week[,] and live in the charcuterie refrigerator”
- “Serious food. Serious dessert. If you like places where they take food and produce seriously and they make everything from scratch: COME HERE.”
- “The food was amazing. I’m not exactly sure what my older sister ordered for us, but everything was fresh and the flavors were amazing. The cured meats are a must order for sure. I also had the Bianca pizza[;] it has the most amazing crust. […] Best of all, the cured meats are made in house and I’m so love with Bestia.”
- “We heard the people sitting right next to us rave about the dessert so we ordered the Crostata al Cioccolato. HOLY MOTHER! They pimped the hell out of that dessert: its this perfect crust, like a little tart, filled with a thick chocolate mousse, and finished with olive oil and sea salt. There’s a line of caramel on the plate and AN OUTRAGEOUS COOKIE on the side. The dessert itself was REALLY GOOD, but the COOKIE WAS SWEETNESS PERFECTION.”
- “This place is simply the best new restaurant in LA. Every detail[,] from the design to the service[,] ha[s] been perfected to [its] finest, not to mention how delicious the food is. Chef Ori is absolutely amazing.”
Bestia, 2121 E 7th Pl., Los Angeles, BestiaLA.com