Login / Register
ORNo Account? Register here.
What Are the Creative Arts Emmys, Anyway?
Here’s why you keep seeing pictures of Crazy Eyes kissing an Emmy statue
Why do I keep seeing pictures of Crazy Eyes kissing an Emmy statue?
Probably because actress Uzo Aduba just won an Emmy and she’s pretty happy about it.
For outstanding guest actress in a comedy on Orange Is The New Black.
When did that happen?
On Saturday at the Nokia Theatre in downtown L.A. where the 33-year-old actress, who beat out costars Natasha Lyonne and Laverne Cox, gave a heartfelt speech that was full of tears and thanks.
How did I miss that?
Because it happened at the Creative Arts Emmys.
What are those?
Officially, they're the Emmys "dedicated to key technical disciplines and behind-the-scenes crafts essential to television production." That means cinematographers, casting directors, stunt coordinators, makeup artists, and the like—plus a few acting awards. Basically, they're the categories that aren't high profile enough to include in the splashy primetime show.
Are the Creative Arts Emmys important?
That depends. Are you a cinematographer, casting director, stunt coordinator, or makeup artist?
So when are the "real" Emmys?
You mean the Primetime Emmy Awards? Next Monday, August 25. They start at 5 p.m. Pacific Time on NBC.
Aside from Crazy Eyes, any other winners I should know about?
- Joe Morton won outstanding guest actor in a drama series for Scandal
- Bob's Burgers won for outstanding animated program
- Jimmy Fallon won outstanding guest actor in a comedy series for Saturday Night Live
- Harry Shearer won outstanding character voice-over performance for his portrayal of Kent Brockman on The Simpsons
- Jeremy Irons won outstanding narrator for Game of Lions
- Carl Sagan's widow, Ann Druyan, won outstanding writing for nonfiction programming along with her co-writer Steven Soter for Cosmos
- Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown and Vice both won for outstanding informational series or special
- The episode of Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifianakis featuring Barack Obama won outstanding short-format live-action entertainment program
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt's hitRECord On TV won original interactive program
- Tabitha and Napoleon Dumo won outstanding choreography for So You Think You Can Dance
- The Colbert Report won for outstanding writing for a variety series
- Jane Lynch won outstanding host for a reality or reality-competition program for Hollywood Game Night
If that's not enough info, you can see the full list of winners here.
What do the Creative Arts Emmys mean for the Primetime Emmys?
The Creative Arts Emmys are often a harbinger of what shows are going to win big at the Primetime Emmys. Which means that Game of Thrones, True Detective, American Horror Story: Coven, and Orange Is The New Black all should do pretty well next week. But you probably didn't need the list below to figure that out.
Saturday Night Live - 5
Cosmos: A SpaceTime Odyssey - 4
Game of Thrones - 4
Sherlock: His Last Vow (Masterpiece) - 4
True Detective - 4
Deadliest Catch - 3
Disney Mickey Mouse - 3
Orange Is The New Black - 3
The Simpsons - 3
The Square - 3
67th Annual Tony Awards - 2
American Horror Story: Coven - 2
American Masters - 2
Black Sails - 2
Dancing With The Stars - 2
So You Think You Can Dance – 2
Isn't it amazing how sane Uzo Aduba looks when she's out of character?
Yes! It's a testament to what a terrific actress she is.