Login / Register
ORNo Account? Register here.
Five Best Places to Find Amazing Air Conditioning During the L.A. Heat Wave
With the brutal heat wave expected to continue through the weekend, here’s where to take advantage of someone else’s A.C.
April may have been the cruelest month in T.S. Eliot’s Waste Land, but in modern Los Angeles that distinction belongs to September. With the brutal heat wave expected to continue through the weekend, those of us without the modern wonder of air conditioning have two options: make a refrigerator tent à la Homer Simpson or find spot where you can take advantage of someone else’s A.C. We choose the latter.
- Beverly Center: Recently revamped to include art deco chairs where you can lounge as you watch large screen TVs, the mock lobbies located on all levels of the shopping mall are a perfect pit stop.
- Natural History Museum, African and American Mammal Halls: What could be better than a rolling tundra and air so cold it gives you goose bumps? The taxidermy animals, however, aren’t for the faint of heart.
- Starbucks on Figueroa and Jefferson: This USC-adjacent Starbucks boasts some serious A.C.—colder than other Starbucks we’re convinced—and the free wifi is huge bonus.
- Landmark Theatres at the Westside Pavilion: The movies are sophisticated and the temperature is frosty. Plus, there’s a wine bar.
- Costco, Marina Del Rey: Head straight to the freezer section where they store ten-pound bags of carrots and green beans. If you can’t cool off here, it’s hopeless.