Printed for personal use only

Keep on Ticking

When Jack Warner and his siblings broke ground on Hollywood Boulevard for the Warner Brothers Theater, longtime friend and competitor Sid Grauman sent his regards via hearse and mock mourners. Built in 1928 by the architect behind the Orpheum, the Wiltern, and El Capitan, the movie palace helped save the fledgling studio, which had been locked out by larger exhibitors. Pictured here (inset) is the ornate marquee from 1938—before it was updated with a drab white letter holder—and the Stromberg Jewelers clock, which still works. Pacific Theatres bought the venue in the ’60s. Filling the 2,700 seats became difficult, and it closed in 1989. Renamed the Hollywood Pacific Theater, it now operates as a church.