Around noon on June 7, a gunman opened fire on and around Santa Monica City College. According to the Los Angeles Times, five victims and the shooter are dead after a ten minute rampage.
Santa Monica College, Will Rogers Elementary School, and John Adams Middle School are on lockdown. The shooting is said not to have impacted President Obama, who was in the area for a fund-raiser today. Details of the event are unfolding. Here are reports from local news outlets:
- The Los Angeles Times is reporting five people, including the gunman, have died. The shooting now appears to have begun in the 2000 block of Yorkshire Avenue, where two bodies were found. A second "person of interest" is in custody.
- According to NBC News, the gunman set his house on fire before hijacking a car and driving to campus. The bodies of his father and brother were found in the house.
- The image above, purportedly of a Big Blue Bus shot at by the gunman, was Tweeted by NBCLA reporter John Cádiz Klemack.
- The President's motorcade was rerouted from Santa Monica Airport to LAX. ABC News reported that secret service spokesman said that the shooting did not impact the President's visit.
- The LA Weekly has pieced together a detailed timeline of shooting-related events.
- According to The Associated Press, Santa Monica schools repoened today with heightened security.
Related article: KCRW Responds to the Santa Monica College Shooting