April 20, 1930
Olvera Street opens on Easter Sunday. A few years earlier, local socialite Christine Sterling had noted the rundown state of Wine Street, an alleyway that served as a city hub in the late 1800s. Sterling launched a campaign to re-open the historic alley as a Mexican-themed marketplace where California’s old Mexican culture could live.
Re-named Olvera after L.A.’s first county judge, the refurbished downtown strip featured stalls for craft and food vendors. La Golondrina Café greeted visitors on opening day, churning out what many considered the city’s first authentic Mexican restaurant food.
Photograph courtesy Democratic Underground