What happened to the obelisk on Glendale Boulevard commemorating the film industry?
Photograph courtesy Mabel Normand
It was constructed with 2-by-2s and chicken wire and was as flimsy as a movie set. It dated to 1954, when a former actor named Frank McKee razed an old studio to build a storage facility (he was also president of National Van Lines). He thought the lot was where Mack Sennett made films with Gloria Swanson, Charlie Chaplin, and Fatty Arbuckle, and he put up the obelisk declaring so. It was demolished along with the building in 2008. The real Sennett studio is still at 1712 Glendale and has its own plaque.